Sunday, April 10, 2011

Zzyzx Won't Pass Spell Check

Today we drove by Zzyzx Road in the Mojave Desert. The street name really caught my eye.

You can drive down Interstate AnyNumber in the U.S. and not really notice the names of the towns because most of them sound ordinary. Like Springfield, for example, why didn't they name their spring something a bit more special? Or Washington--don't they have other people they can recognize? Or can't people find a new nickname like Washie-G and then tell a good story about how the nickname came about?

Next time I'm in the Mojave Desert, I'd like to stop and do some writing at the CSU Desert Studies Center on Zzyzx Road. I feel certain that I can come up with some good paragraphs on that road. And even if I don't, it's interesting enough just to mention where I was writing.

In fact, I've just decided that I want to write more about places and people whose names can't pass spell check. After all, I married a Haataia! The downside is that I have to spell it about three times before people believe that I've got it right. The good part is that I'm the only Lorraine Haataia on Facebook.

Got another unique name you'd like to share? Please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment