Thursday, October 15, 2009

Write Every Day

Some writers say they write every day, but not all of them have publications as evidence. They might still in the wannabe stage along with many others who never get to the published stage. Email is part of everyday work for lots of office workers who would never call themselves "writers." They write to their colleagues, suppliers, customers and friends nearly every day, drafting funny original jokes and new ideas, but they don't consider themselves writers at all. They call themselves engineers, managers, and accountants. If you asked, they might even tell you they don't like writing.

Some people write one book and call themselves writers or authors for the rest of their lives, but in reality do little writing. So what am I talking about when I speak of writers? I'm talking about people who hear a voice from inside that compels them to pursue the call. I heard that voice whispering to me in elementary school, talking to me in for many years thereafter, and finally shouting at me over the past several years. At any given time, regardless of where I am or what I'm doing, the voice may speak to me.

A writer can and should write every day. It's a cinch to microblog a or jot down a few words in a journal every day. Even when you aren't physically or literally recording words on paper, you can still be involved in the writing process as long as you're thinking about new examples for articles or chapters in draft.

A few days ago, one of my daughters told me how much she learned about her spending by managing her finances on www.Mint.com. As she described her Mint finance charts, I started thinking about how I might incorporate this website into an article.That's how writers think. They run everything through their "how can I write about this" filter. If you're experiencing this symptom, you're probably a writer.

If you keep hearing the call, but you aren't writing, the best way to calm the voice is to write! Doctors practice medicine and writers practice writing. It's something you have to do lots of in order to improve and become an expert. And one more thing, get as many people as possible to read and brutally critique your writing. That's how you learn to add value to others through the words you write every day. If you can't take the heat, the voice isn't loud enough for you to endure the life of a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment